What's new

I don't think it's VVT rattle...

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Hi guys,

Another question for you I'm afraid. Got some noice from the 15 which I originally thought to be VVT rattle, but having seen the vids posted on You Tube and the like relating to it I have to think it's something different.

It happens when everything is cold but it's not the deisel sound indicative of VVT. Imagine putting the car in reverse but not engaging it properly, when trying to pull off it gives that clicking sound of teeth not fully engaged. This is the sound I'm getting, both in first and reverse. It doesn't last very long at all, and sometimes not at all. When it first did it I thought I'd not put it in gear properly, but it was and I pulled away okay, just sounds like something isn't fully engaged.

Anyone come accross this one before :confused:

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
could be early vvt? I've been told that mine is presenting early vvt, its a bit like you described so I've a second hand sprocket bought a gettin fitted next week. The noise happens only when I pull off when the engine is cold. Sounds like if you tied a bolt to the end of string and spun it around really fast smashing it off the inside of the engine once every revolution, if that makes any sense? It doesn't last very long at all

Last edited:
M

Matt_S

OK, well try this. Disconnect the VVT solenoid and see if the symptoms persist. If it does, its not VVT and you can worry even more :wack:

Or, take a note of the revs when it happens. VVT is engaged (once in gear - hence the neutral switch) at approx 1150 rpm. You hear it jus as you take the car off of idle. It also makes it really hard to diagnose, cos you cant do it from the engine bay (you need it in gear).

Try them and report back :)

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Righty ho, thanks. Once it stopped pi**ing down I'll go and have a go - checked other threads and found the info on the solenoid so will 'do the needful' and report back :)

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Dicsonnected this morning and turned the car round, no sign of it. Will leave the plug off while I take my daughter home later today and see if it does it on that journey.

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Right, think it is indeed confirmed. Popped the plug back in before reversing up the drive and it caught a little then.

Saw a thread over on SXOC where they talked about reconditioning the sprocket - mainly consisting if giving it a right good clean to sort out the oil ways (chances are some swarf from the cogs not meshing properly will leave some debris) and some light filing of the teeth themselves to get things back into line (to a point). Anyone tried this at all?

F

Fro-Daddy

I always thought it was an oil issue, as there is not enough pressure there at the start...

M

Matt_S

I always thought it was an oil issue, as there is not enough pressure there at the start...
Nah, its just wear. TBH I didnt think S15s struggled to last like S14 ones do tho. I think they (Nissan) modded them with a revised one.

Its a gear/drive thing inside. Maybe Mook can link to the pics off of SXOC (I cant be arsed) where they took one to bits.
I dont think oils an issue, as once they start to wear, they make the noise hot etc, not just on first start up of the day/cold.

There is no easy fix I dont think. Just get a new one from RHD or similar

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Details and pics of the sprocket are in this thread - http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=166217 .

So, looks like mine is just starting to go. No issue in terms of power at this stage, just annoying. Seems that everyone forgets that something wearing down is going to leave debris in the oil though, which could clog lines and get embedded in other parts, so surely it's not as harmless as everyone makes out :indiff:

Reaction score
my car makes this rattly metal sound for like 2 seconds also when cold and driving off in 1st:O:(:( whats this mean i need to replace sprocket?????plz help

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
not sure if the sr20det has a hydraulic timing chain tensioner but if it has then could be that, or lifters....normally when first started/cold you could have a couple of noises due to the fact the oil has all drained back to the sump, as soon as oil pressure builds and the engine gets lubricated they should go away:nod:

Reaction score
really??i was told that it could be the oil alright....
also on different note wen i engage in 1st gear i get a loud deep thung sound???can you shed light on that??

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i can tell you that its not right :wack:....sounds like an actual gearbox problem - synchro maybe. if it does this as you move off in first it may be a worn diff that is knocking. where does the noise come from?

Reaction score
dosent make any noise driving off only when putting into 1st..just a sudden thump
could be around the gearbox this thump sound