What's new

Mitch's drift ride

M

mitch

Few pics from the past week..

First off, rewiring the engine loom when the first had problems. Bruno was a great help here :D. Contrary to popular belief, he doesn't do all the work on my cars. I think all the time spent with his new chick has been taking it out of him...

Here it is as fitted, til Martin from Littleknocks popped up to nick the front end from the S14 breaker, and dropped off an experimental rocker cover. Looks nice and spangly in the sun

Next up was cutting the door cards so the doors could be closed now that the cage is in.

M

mitch

Then it was time to stop mincing and get the dash cut and fitted. I must have been there an hour before making the first cut, guessing, measuring and generally fannying about. It is making the job so much slower, but it's not like I can get another dash for a tenner, like you can with an S13.

The first cut and no turning back...

I'm very happy with the way it has gone so far, as I have only lost the use of the driver's side vent but that will house a gauge soon anyway. Next up is fitting the lower section and then removing the remainder of the sound deadening and refitting the carpet, then lowering the seat as much as I can.​

D

Derek

That ****ing sound deading is some disaster. I was at it all last week. Nightmare of stuff.

M

mitch

The factory stuff isn't too bad, but the Dynamat Xtreme is an absolute nightmare. It is hard enough to pull off, but then it tears and the foil part is razor sharp. Got some good cuts on my hands from it. If you heat it to make it easier to remove, it leaves loads of residue.

I'm going to get the last bits from the floor removed then put the carpet back in, as it weighs not a lot, looks tidy and saves having to prep and paint the floor.

M

mitch

Yep, it doesn't have to be a totally unusable car to drift. If I made alloy door cards it would be hassle, not look as tidy and save no weight.

As for the carpet, I thought I'd try it for a change, as I took it out whole instead of hacking it and binning it like I normally do.

It'll be a daily drive too, so don't be surprised when I put a stereo in there :D

M

mitch

Few more pics...

All stripped of sound deadening...

Carpet and seat and boost gauge in...

P

Paul2x

How much would you said in "tar/sound deading" alone did you take out weight wise from the cabin?

coming together nice btw. :thumbs:

M

mitch

Don't know, as I threw it away as I went. Some of it was removed before the cage went in and I took the rest out before replacing the carpet.

It is quite a few kilos. I don't believe for a second it'll help me drift any better, but I normally paint the inside of the car and it has to be removed for that, and I try to ditch weight where I can without affecting the car too much. That is the reason I keep the console and light plastics. The main weight has been taken in the form of aircon pump, rad, pipes, matrix etc. I don't remove great slabs of metal or drill holes in panels as it would just ruin a really nice car. At the end of the day it would have been pointless unless I was fitting the lightest cage possible, because I'm sure that that will negate any effect anyway.

M

mitch

Took it for the MoT this week. All road legal again :thumbs:

Trial fitted the kit on Wednesday night. No trimming, fitted straight on.

Then I went to see Martin (LK Drifter) at Littleknocks for him to work his magic...Here are the results-

Thought I'd take a pic with two of the LK S15's...

Huge thanks to Martin for doing a bit of overtime for me, and also Christian for his help, and Dave and Ryan just for being Dave and Ryan :wave:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Looks good mate, what front bumper is that on your car?

Size and offset of your wheels?

M

mitch

Not sure what make it is, but I got the kit from EP Racing, and the fit is spot on. I have another front bumper there, in case of drift mishaps :D

Wheels are 8.5 and 9.5 X18 ET 25 and 35 IIRC.

Reaction score
Country
mitch,

Nice and clean the way I like it.

-2 camber and 225s should clear it fine. Have seen wider and lower offset fitted to stock guards for s15.

M

mitch

Arches aren't fully rolled yet, nor is the camber set, but it certainly isn't running loads.

I have 235's on the rear and it doesn't rub. Here are a couple of pics taken before leaving for JAE...