What's new

Mitch's drift ride

M

mitch

HKS FMIC fitted

Thanks to Mike and Ian G for the loan of the hole cutter to save me the pain of drilling a multitude of holes in the battery tray and then chiselling and filing the resulting mess...

After much slow drilling and the drill snagging and trying to smash my arms into the inner wing, it finally went through...

Cooler fitted, just before removing the wing mounted one. Cheers for supplying the temporary one, Chris :) :wave:

The pics I took of the fitted item didn't come out so I'll take some more later. For reference, the centre of the hole is 100mm from the right and 120mm from the fusebox side of the battery tray, and is the same for the generic FMIC pipework kits (from the Apex pdf) , and was spot on.

M

mitch

Cheers :)

No work for a couple of days until I can get another battery to fit.

I had a Varley red top and drove the car yesterday and could smell something a bit strange, which was a bit like the smell of burnt oil. When I stopped and opened the bonnet I could hear a bubbling sound coming from the battery, which was bowed outwards and I thought it was going to burst :eek: I covered it with thick cloth as I quickly undid the connectors and removed it. I left it for a couple of hours and the thing was still hot when I checked it again, so left it until this morning before going back to it. It was still a bit warm, so I think the plates may have shorted together inside or something, as I can't think what else it could be.

I was given the battery by a mate a few weeks ago, but was still thinking of calling the number on the top of it and seeing if they can shed any light on what happened, (and possibly give me another battery:D)

D

Derek

Mitch, Can you take a picture of the brake pipes where the abs pump was. Just wanna see what you did. Cheers..

M

mitch

Derek- there are just pipes there, no unions or joins. I used a non ABS master cyliner with three outlets and ran the two front and one rear from it. The ABS pump is completely removed so there's just a big gap.

D

Derek

ok cheers. My best bet would be to get a non abs cyclinder. I've pump taken out. I hate them stupid Oem steel pipes. Was thinking of replacing pipes for bradied ones but probally be bit too expensive.

Last edited:
M

mitch

Either that or get a tee piece for the front pipes. The copper brake hose and flaring kit is pretty cheap and loads more flexible than the OEM stuff.

M

mitch

Took the car to USC last weekend, and found that the 18's were rubbing through the loom on the driver's side. I decided to cut it and relocate it to the engine bay, something I will never do again in this way. Took absolutely ages :nod:

Just needs wrapping up now that all the wires have been reconnected and heatshrinked. So glad that it is over :annoyed: :nod:​