What's new

Paul2x Spec-R Project

P

Paul2x

How durable is the powder coating considering the heat produced? I don't want to do it if it will be something that will look crap after a couple months.

Much more durable to heat than paint....I don't know of anyone who's had problems with PC stuff

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Topper! :wave: u going to join the Enkei club..LOL

sure sound's like it
If only i had the cash, just moved house so need to get used to paying for that 1st before i see what spare monies i have.

Just researching wheel sizes etc so when the time comes i know what i need to get.

Do you think there is much benifit in running a 9j as apposed to an 8j up front? Obviously the tire would be wider and help traction, but for my car being mostly road with the odd (but hopefully increasing number of) trackdays, would it warent fitting wider fender and wider wheels? Obviously it would look better, as both front and rear wheels could be concaved depending on the design, but i cant think i could justify the additional cost just for the look alone.

Also, since your a keen track man, what about this - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=DEI080131

P

Paul2x

Thats a nice wheel! :thumbs:

but if you look at it the price difference between a 8 and a 9 is very small, same goes for the tires.

It really all depends on the look you like. My BBS LM's that are run are 8's up front but i have to run a 15mm spacer to clear the dampers so. IMO it would be better to just get a 9 w/ no spacer or smaller spacer basied on what the offset is.

But like i said for a road car both would be fine, it just comes down to looks.

cant' really get anything aggressive in a 8' , but 9's give u a few more options.

Find the look u like then get the size u need to achieve that look.

I was going to go 9.5 up front, but didn't need it. I could fit the same size tire, (255/40/17) with more clearance, a little lighter and a few dollars less... 9.0 was it.. =)

You may have the same case w/ the 8's if you find the right wheel.

good luck! :D

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
That sounds expensive to me......

As for the wheels, i agree you get a much more aggresive look with a 9 over an 8, but this then causes fitment issues, these can be sorted by having wider front fenders of course....... its only money

P

Paul2x

-ACPT Carbon Drive shaft

omg!!! how much lighter is it and what's your thoughts?

Ah it's about half, The two picece unit is about 23lbs and the Carbon shaft is 11lbs.

More importuant is it's much stronger and it flexes and absorbs viabration much more so it's easier on the driveline.

With my gearbox i kept breaking drive shaft bolts from the upshifts and it was very harsh, with the new shaft is much better, not a single problem and i'm sure you put a few more hp to the ground.

IMO it's one of the most overlooked mods you can do as the difference is quite large over stock.

Last edited:
G

gunner93

Also not forgetting drivability since wider tyres floats on wet road, its not so safe no?

N

neosilvia

Paul, let me know if you get bored with that beautiful car. I would be happy to buy it since it's already here and I wouldn't have to deal with the import, registration hassle. I have to loves in the car world, the S15 Silvia, and the 3rd gen RX7. I have to find a way to get one for the street.
I ended up going with JIC for the suspension on mine. They offered a sponsorship and the savings was too much to pass up.
I like what I am hearing with the drive shaft you choose. Where is that company located?
Funny, I purchased a set of RPF1's yesterday, then logged on today to see you had chosen the same wheel. I ended up going with 18's but noticed you stayed with 17's. Any benefit to this? I originally debated running 17's ,but then saw JIC was running 18's on their time attack car so decided to go with 18's. 18x8.5 +30 front with Hankook Ventus Z214 245/35 in front and 18x9.5 +38 with 275/35 in the rear. I was going to go with a wider wheel/tire in front, but JIC was telling me about their initial experience going through the stock steering box with the wider wheels up front. They solved this problem by putting a GTR box up front.
I think trying to figure out the tire and wheel size was the most difficult thing I have done yet in this project. Talking with Enkei, looking at what others have done, and a little guess work. They will be coming in Thursday so I hope they fit.

You going to Buttonwillow this weekend?

N

neosilvia

I found another one already here in California (actually two) so if you get the chance, let me know what's involved in getting this one registered and on the road. Since you've been through it, I am sure you have some good direction on this. I am selling my 03 Land Cruiser now to finance the purchase of the second S15. The land Cruiser was sucking up gas at about 8 miles to the gallon with car laden trailer in tow. Cost me over $200 in gas alone to drive from Berkeley to Buttonwillow so my Mercedes Sprinter box truck is getting all towing duty now.
I sent ACPT a message as I am after a Carbon drive shaft for my track car, but they never replied back, been going on three weeks now.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
2x S15
Gen 3 RX7
Merc Sprinter

Someone has to much money! :D

Get profile pictures up of your car with the new wheels one, i'm interested to see how the 9.5j ET38 fit, what camber are you running at the rear?

N

neosilvia

Pictures of the 9.5 38 wheels are up at the end of the first page of my post for this car "Neosilvia's 99 S15".

Paul, your lucky you have one for the street. From what I can tell, the two I found were not legally imported, so I will not be going near those. Oh well, no S15 for the street for me. There has only been one other car to tempt me in recent years and it will hit the streets next year in the states. GTR here I come.

P

Paul2x

Hey guys it's been quite awhile since my last update. Just been really busy.

Some of the parts from japan are starting to finally trickel in.

Latest update: GP SPorts Impact Ex Fenders added. 20mm flare

current pic's show, with street tires, but now i can finally fit the wider R-comps like I had planned with no issues.

More pic's/ updates to come.

Hope everyone is doing well and having a great new year so far!

-Paul :thumbs:

Last edited:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Your mates have to much money! :D

Like the front wings/fenders, where did you get those from? Are they heavy?

JDM addict said:
The entire California is filled with filthy rich people :)
That explains it.....

P

Paul2x

Good find!, I'm the Moderator for the Skyline Boards on Fresh A. So some of my friends must have posted thoes pic's. Mostly pic's of my GTR on their. I keep the silvia pic's off their most of the time

I've been in the Skyline game for about 5-6 years now, Silvia is the new project. but been havin a blast with it

p.s Fenders were 3.5lbs lighter a piece. :thumbs:

P

Pazz

And I thought Americans just always drove around in their pickups and cadillacs. Nice!!

Paul: Did you get rid of the BBS split rims or that just for a show look? Thinking of a set myself but gonna go for plain silver I think with polished lip.

P

Paul2x

And I thought Americans just always drove around in their pickups and cadillacs. Nice!!

Paul: Did you get rid of the BBS split rims or that just for a show look? Thinking of a set myself but gonna go for plain silver I think with polished lip.
Ha ha, I actually just picked up a new Toyota pickup last week. I guess i fit the bill.

I got rid of the BBS LM's b/c they were too narrow for the look i was going for espically after i added the wider front fenders.

Still one of my fav' rim's of all time.

Had a set on my M3 as well =)

:thumbs:

P

Paul2x

Yeah, properly set-up the stock T28 is awesome.

We did 316hp with 327tq at the wheels on my car.

turned it down a bit for the road course (heat) but on the street it was great

:)

Last edited: