What's new

Power Steering

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Does anyone know what would happen if the belt for the pulley on the above? Obviously the steering would go heavy but would it cause any damage to the rack and if not could you drive it as normal (hate power steering).

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Do you mean if you remove the belt? If so, the steering would be very heavy indeed, a lot worse than cars without PS from the factory as you'll be forcing the fluid through the rack everytime you make an input.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I've driven a car which had power steering then the pulley decided to fall off and I proceeded to be towed for 15 miles to a garage just on normal steering - not nice at all!!

D

djmasterg

HI

Maybe a litlle bit OT but i need to change a fluid in power steering. What should I pour inside? Redline or anyting will do?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
steering goes super heavy if you spit a belt, pretty scary actually lol. i think people use dexronIII atf pas fluid, thats what i've used in the past :)

D

djmasterg

steering goes super heavy if you spit a belt, pretty scary actually lol. i think people use dexronIII atf pas fluid, thats what i've used in the past :)

The steering is not heavy at all. I had a quite long drifting session on snow, and after that i noticed a humming, which goes along with engine revs. So I stopped and went outside the car to check it. And I have noticed that PAS fluid is very hot. Is that the cause of humming? It goes away when I drive on motorway and steer at above 40 mph. So I assume that the power steering pump is ok. I read somewhere that PAS fluid can overheat and then it looses its properties. Correct me if I am wrong.

Ps. I didn't check the belt although, but it's too cold to do it right now.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
yes you can boil the power steering fluid. I would probably say you need to change the fluid. It may be the cause of the humming.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
You can get PS cooler kits for about £60 but they aren't thermostatically controlled so might not be a brilliant idea for you guys in the Arctic region. :p

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
You can get PS cooler kits for about £60 but they aren't thermostatically controlled so might not be a brilliant idea for you guys in the Arctic region. :p
no point fitting one in wales then....or the rest of the uk for that matter :p

D

djmasterg

Let's say I will go for dexron III. How much shall I get? Can't find quantities anywhere. Thanks.

D

djmasterg

Hi

Got myself dexron III - 2 liters (although manual says 1 liter, I don't want to end up somewhere between not having car on the road and no PAS fluid). Anyway, is there any specific way of draining the system ? I know how to do bleeding, but can't find anything about getting the old fluid out of the PAS. Any help would be appreciated.

D

djmasterg

Hi guys, help needed here:

As you can see, the red arrow points the place, where steering fluid leaks from the system. Please let me know if something is missing from this part (don't know its name), or do I need a new part. Or lets say I do it the polish way - put a bolt inside this hole to stop this leak.

D

djmasterg

Happy new year guys!!!

Just spoken to a mechanic and beeing told that putting a screw to stop the leak can help for a while, but inside seals and washers can be worn out, so next question: can I replace s15 steering rack with s14 one? Are they the same?

Regards.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I swear some of my posts have disappeared from here? Your new rack looks good mate, hopefully it will be simple to fit :)

D

djmasterg

Just last question - bleeding the system will be jacking up car (both wheels), putting dexron III in, and then turning wheels from one side to another with engine off. Again putting some dexron (if it dissapears from engine container), and repeating this until its level is continous, then switching engine on and repeating whole process agian. Is that right?

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Straight from the manual:

Bleeding Hydraulic System​

1. Raise front end of vehicle until wheels are clear of the ground.

2. Add fluid into oil tank to specified level. Then quickly turn steering wheel fully to right and left and lightly touch steering stoppers.Repeat steering wheel operation until fluid level no longer decreases.

3. Start engine.

Repeat step 2. above.

Incomplete air bleeding will cause the following to occur. When this happens, bleed air again.

a) Air bubbles in reservoir tank

b) Clicking noise in oil pump

c) Excessive buzzing in oil pump

Fluid noise may occur in the valve or oil pump. This is common when the vehicle is stationary or while turning the steering wheel slowly. This does not affect the performance or durability of the system.

D

djmasterg

Thanks Meddler

I suppose thats the same procedure in all other cars with PAS. I also have a user manual somewhere, but it's hard to find it when you most need it. Will let you know how it went with swap.
Have a nice day.

D

djmasterg

Guys

steering swapped. works like a dream... Love it again, after one week my hands were sore, but now its back to normal. I will leave this broken rack and get it reconditioned, I have a full TEIN setup on it, so will swap that tomorrow, before I go to alingnment.

Thanks for help.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Good to hear that it all worked out. Glad I could help