What's new

Subframe bushes + locking collars

Reaction score
Country
I tried (unsuccessfully) to fit a set of subframe locking collars earlier.
The top part went on, but the bottom part wouldn't fit up into the bush enough to get the nut started, even if I used a jack to try and push it up in :confused:.
Upon further inspection, the bushes (well, the one at the front that I tried to do first anyway) don't seem to have the gaps in them like the others I have had on S13's. I tried one of the bottom collars in an old bush I had previously removed from another subframe and it fitted in okay.

Do these bushes look like they have been changed for uprated ones? Anybody know what the nismo bushes are like?

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
That sounds weird as I'm about to embark on this job next week... JameS15 when I spoke to him a DWYB last Wed said he's only just done this and with a bottle jack he was able to push the new collars and old bushes back up far enough to slot the bottom collars underneath and get the nut back on etc...

Reaction score
Country
Dan -- As James said i did my subframe collars a couple weeks ago. Looking at that bush i have no idea if its standard sorry. I didnt really inspect mine in detail as i had no problems fitting the collars. Took all of about 30 mins and i fitted them while i was doing my coilovers and adjustable arms.

James -- On the front part of the subframe i just dropped the lower L frame off and used a pry bar to slot the top C collar in and then as Dan said with the dome/stepped shaped collar there wasnt enough thread to get the nut underneath so i just used a jack to push the collar into the bush and show more thread (mine are all standard as far as i know) and it went on fine.

The rear 2 subframe bushes were a little harder. I couldnt slot the top C collar in by using a pry bar alone so instead used a bottle jack to lift it which then took all of 5mins! Its a pretty easy job and ive never worked on cars before the Silvia :)

Reaction score
Country
I tried to get mine on while I was fitting my coilovers too!
I never looked at the back ones when I failed to get the front one on to see if they were any different. I did try pushing it home with a bottle jack, but it wasn't having none of it and was just lifting the whole car! It was only the tip of the stud that was sticking through, no thread, so I couldn't get the nut on to get it started :annoyed:.

Looking at the bush I've got loose from a S13 subframe it's got slots around the circumference of it, but the one on the car feels solid and has got a taper to it and doesn't seem to want to let the collar in. It goes straight in the S13 one no problem.

Lupix, when you fit yours could you have a look and see if they are like mine please, or whether they are of the slotted variety :thumbs:

I'll take a picture of the loose one I've got so you know what I mean :)

This is the loose one I've got the the collar would fit easily. It looks a different profle on the rubber part to the one on my car :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction score
nah mate still not got round to this!! If you're around in the next few weeks then I'd gladly pop round and get mine sorted at the same time :)
yeah mate, sounds good cant afford his month though.. just has 2 new tyres, 6 months road tax and i need to book the trackday.

i will defo be doing this though in the next few months if you can hold on.