What's new

Twin electric cooling fan from a AU falcon setup

Reaction score
Country
Here is a few pics of the twin electric fan setup i installed a few weeks ago.
Personally i hate the idea of the water pump turning a fan to keep air flowing i know it works but it looks ugly as hell and adds resistance to the engine, i know its very little but i just don't like it, its a old fashioned thing that should be left with old cars.

So i have a 56mm alloy rad, and a twin electric fan from a AU Falcon installed which works exceptionally well.
The reason for choosing this fan setup over two basic Chinese fans is that alot of muscle car owners along with Off-Roaders and other Nissans use this and do so for a reason, it has two 340mm fans and the fans blades themselves are far more efficient at flowing air then most other fan setups, the shroud has a median divider so even running one fan at a time is sucking air through half of the rad. Im not sure on the airflow rate but its way more then the stock setup. The shroud measures roughly 460mm x 640mm which fits my rad rather well. Finished it takes up 90mm still leaving 110mm to the crank pulley, And not being cheap Chinese fans they will last a hell of alot longer

Best part is that i got the setup for $60 NZD

For now the fan on the turbo side of the rad is wired into the stock thermo switch, in the near future i will change this as the stock cut in is too high. The battery side fan is wired to a switch on the dash as i want control for times like when you are sitting in traffic, if you dont want the fans switching on off on off. The dash switch is wired through a 25amp fuse, might be a bit low but will see how it goes.

To make the shroud fit i had to cut away are area for the bottom return hose and the top feed hose, also cut away an area to fit the BOV pipe.
i simply cut off the plastic tab on the top and made holes to bolt this onto the rad, on the bottom i just simply cable tied it too the bottom tank, this did not require putting cable ties onto any of the core, so its very secure, you could make brackets if you really wanted to.

Sitting it on top of the engine before starting

Battery side

Turbo side

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Keep an eye on temps!

Most people who I've seen fit these and remove the viscous always revert back to it because the fact is its very very good at cooling the sr :D

Reaction score
Country
i know that the falcon had 2 speed settings for these fans, so that they are running slowly all the time and then once above a certain temp they run and full speed, just havent figured that part out yet, which is why i have a switch on the dash for them. might just get one of those electric fan controllers

Last edited:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Looks good. I am sure that someone on here has put up a circuit to run the slow and fast speeds for the fans. I will see if I can find it.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Reaction score
Country
cheers Chris i forgot that mr pham did the AU fan thing as well. just the diagram i was after. And after a bit of google, a guy on hardtuned did this with his S15 as well.... heaps of info out there

Reaction score
Country
although i think i wont use anything to do with the factory ECU as per his diagram as im not planning on keeping it and i have already done away with the aircon, a completely separate system is the go.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
let us know how you go with it. I may go the same way. I have a temp controller in my garage somewhere that I can use. I think the biggest problem with thermo fans is that people don't use a shroud. The ability of the fans to move air is greatly reduced and then that is when the problems start.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I reverted back to the stock fan as it works and you don't have to orry about it.

But I totally agree that a good elec setup is far superior. I was very close to spending a lot of money on an electronic fan controller that powers 2 fand on hi and lo settings, along with some fairly expensive fans but just couldn't bring myself to spending that much on something the original setup does so well, all be it in a crude way!

I can't remember exactly which ones they were but fans were Flex-A-Lite and controller was DIF from FRSport

S

s15gt

iv installed this set up over a year ago. It works really well, and i find it flows more air than the stock set up at all times! No longer is the small helper fan in the way and the stock shroud kind restricts airflow through the core. Iv got a greddy multi-switcher controlling it reading from the stock temp sender. 2speed low is on 78c and hi is 80c with a nismo thermostat. I did used to have the temps set abit lower but this just caused the oil temp to stay cold for longer (bad) Set up a similar system on a mates this time with the 2 fans wired in series and using the stock ac/helper fans wiring to control it. Turns on at 95c and off at 90c an over ride switch would make this setup useable in traffic. As temps when moving where around 75c-80 with a nismo thermostat.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Set up a similar system on a mates this time with the 2 fans wired in series and using the stock ac/helper fans wiring to control it. Turns on at 95c and off at 90c an over ride switch would make this setup useable in traffic. As temps when moving where around 75c-80 with a nismo thermostat.
I used to have my previous system wired in that way but I felt 95c was a bit too hot for the kick-in. Like you say, you can wire in an over ride but I wanted something fully automatic. Fit and forget.

Which mark/model of the Falcon are they from?

Reaction score
Country
Getting hold of these AU fans isn't that easy over this side of the pond, can any of you guys provide some websites/contact where we can source this AU fan set up, i'm very interested.

Like Craig I was looking at the Flex-a-lite fans and the DIF controller from FRSport, but it's still a cable-tie on job and the AU set up with the moulded housing looks factory so it's a really good set up from that perspective, i've also seen another high power SR20 with this set up so it looks like it does the job.

Cheers guys.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Reaction score
Country
If it doesn't sell can I grab just the shroud? Not deathly keen though so don't worry about me in the first instance :)

Reaction score
Country
I can go and ask as the wreckers for you. I think the biggest problem would be the shipping. I don't mind helping you out if you want to do it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-AU-...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6f8ff2a1

have a look on ebay.com.au and search for "AU falcon thermo fan" approx A$100-200
I really appreciate the offer, perhaps in the first instance you could get a quote for me for the shipping, that's as you say going to be the main issue. The address would be Sussex, UK, if you need the specifics let me know.

Cheers