What's new

DB's S15 Build Thread

Reaction score
Country
Some Christmas Goodies

Happy new Year .....

Now Christmas is over, back to stock piling parts :)

Apart from the high value major components of the engine (crank, rods, pistons, cams) I have pretty much everything else purchased, just a couple of small parts to go and then it's save up time for the major parts. In the mean time I've seperated out the first batch of parts going to WPC, should have them sent off before the end of the month :)

I'm going to focus a bit more on the suspension set up for the next few months, first the ARBs and then the FLCA, RLCA (was going to do Ikeya Formula on these (ftw), but don't love the price, so going with Parts Shop Max.) and finaly a change in coilovers from the old Tein Drift spec items that came with the car.

Few parts for now.

Timing Chain Tensioner and Slack side chain guide. Just need to get the uprated chain from Naprec and then i have all new timing parts.. cool..

Koyo 53mm N-FLOW Racing Radiator (thanks FRSport for the 20% sale price ;))

nice bit of welding

Reaction score
I bought one of those rads for my old S15, they're great quality, I was more than happy to get rid of the piece of **** Japspeed one it replaced.

Reaction score
Country
Having done a load of research into a new ECU to manage all the functions I want available: -

CAN bus 2.0B (for PDUs, display, external data logging)
Analogue and Digital I/O (wheel speed sensors, fuel, water, oil, brake, cylinder head pressure and temperature inputs, turbo speed, fan, fuel pump control etc)
Thermocouple/thermistor inputs (EGT etc)
Lambda circuit for 5 wire lab grade sensor
Advanced knock control
Closed loop boost control
Closed loop fuel control
Traction Control
VVL control
Anti lag
Water Injector control
DBW strategy
Ethernet PC connection
Internally data logging
etc etc...

I've decided on a Syvecs S8 ECU.

So now as i'd previously bought all the accessories needed for my HKS Vpro, it's back to the drawings board for all the temp/pressure sensors, boost solenoid, lambda sensor, etc etc and more importantly a completely new wiring harness for all of this stuff. Nice thing about the HKS Vpro is that there's a S15 specific loom which I bought, so now I think it's custom loom time.

I've wanted to go the whole hog and have an Autosport connected loom, with Raychem 55wire and DR-25 tubing, the only thing putting me off was the cost of the tooling for the deutsch autosport connectors, you need a DMC crimp tool and a bunch of pin positioners , I think you won't get much change out of a grand in all and that's before the wire and connectors. So bit by bit this year I will purchase all the tooling for this.

Back to now and a few parts just arrived: -

Whiteline ARB link kit (rear) - front on order and new AEM Coils for the VVL head, need to run these with a CDI box and that will be the M&W Pro 14 unit. Max who's also doing a VVL build found that the P12(20V) rocker cover can use standard S15 coils, what a result and I would have gone that route if i'd know before purchasing these coils, but committed now and will have probably needed the extra juice from the CDI box anyway. But it would have been nice to have the P12 cover with a nice set of Okeda Projects coils, oh well...

Reaction score
Country
Cheers Chris...

We really do get robbed in the UK for parts, i've been swotting up on the tools needed for the Autosport connectors and pretty much everyone uses Daniels (DMC) crimping tools, for both 12-16awg and 20-24awg you need two crimpers, in the UK with VAT they come in at over £300 each and for the 20-24awg tool that's without male and female pin positioners which are themselves around £50 each (so need x6 for 20-24awg), plus I need a turret positioner for the AF8.
AF8 (M22520/1-01) for the big stuff 12-16awg and AFM8 (M22520/2-01) for the 20-24awg.

In the US I can buy both tools for around £180 each and the positioners are around £30 each. Thank god i'm in the states for a while longer, definitely couldn't afford this back home..... But as I am, game on....

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Ha ha ha I shouldn't laugh really as it is a joke , sounds like a good plan of action though mate looking forward to seeing this tearing up a track!!

Reaction score
Country
ARB and Wiring :)

Just a little update.

New Whiteline rear ARB just arrived, went for the big 24mm one BNR11XXZ, so all the rear sorted, drop links and arb, now the front to get done.

Also my first part for the wiring harness arrived, Mil Spec M22759/16 20awg wire, needed to get a min order placed so I could get a better deal on the high end stuff, M22759/44, which will be used for most of the entire loom. Have some nice Raychem DR-25 on order as well as the tooling, here I go, lol...

Reaction score
Country
Motorsport Wiring Update

Now got all the equipment needed.

DMC MH800 (Ultra Precision miniature crimping tool) for 20-32awg contacts

DMC AF8 (Standard crimping tool) for 12-26awg contacts

Positioners for the MH800 for 20+22awg pins and sockets

Turret adjustable positioner for 12-20awg pins and sockets

Rachem DR-25 motorsport heatshrink tubing in lots of sizes

Some more batches of cable, Mill Spec M22759/44 (silver plated) in 20+22awg, need to get some 12+16awg next.

First set of Deutsch Autosport connectors, these are Deutsch AS Micro HE Series, will be used for the Hall Effect CAS sensor and the Knock sensor.

Ideal Stripmaster Mill Spec wire stripper for gauges 16-24awg (MIL-W-22759/32-46/16/17), with die cutter and cable grip pad. Expensive but top draw.

And some cool Speedhunters stickers for the car.

Still have a load of Deutsch connectors to get but will have to wait until i'm back from the states to pull the loom and get all the measurement done to see what I need.
But i'm happy that i've got the majority of what I need for a proper motorsport harness. I've been drawing up the wiring diagram in Visio as well but it's taking ages.

Should have the Syvecs ECU next month as well which is cool. Lots to do but it's getting there :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Mines ccurrently about the same, with the new engine fitted next year should be upwards of 700 at 2.5bar

Reaction score
Country
This is the thread that keeps on giving! I'm constantly amazed in the quality parts, and the general thought and planning that's going into this build!

Great work my man!

Reaction score
Country
ARBs and Drop Links

Little update..

Now have both front and rear Whiteline Anti-Roll Bars and drop links

Front - BNF19Z 3-way adjustable (KLC109 Droplinks)
Rear - BNR11XXZ 2-way adjustable (KLC107 Droplinks)

Not keen on the colour, so i'm taking them to the powder coaters, going for the same colour at the valve cover :)