What's new

engine setup

Reaction score
Ok so its time for some engine work and heres what i have in mind..

tomei manifold
new elbow and downpipe
hks gtrs turbo
740cc injectors
z32 afm

now im looking into a set of tomei cams and a head gasket but my question is to compliment this setup what deg cams are recommended and why? Do i go pon cam or pro-cam? And what size head gasket is also recommended?

Reaction score
Country
I would like some answers on this too as ive a simlar setup.

What would you recommend if i want it for fast road /track /odd drift.
Im looking for more performace then flat out power.

I've heard the hks 256/264 setup is pretty good but what other advantages can be gotten from this setup?

Last edited:
Reaction score
from what ive read the 256/256deg is perfect for everyday use, a mild increase in mid to top and no lumpy idle. Im still not sure if i want to loose the NVCIS THO?

Reaction score
Country
Tomei poncam TypeR
256/256 11.5 lift
works with NVCS
and as there Poncams you can keep standard springs. was looking at this setup too...
If you want adjustable cam sprocket for NVCS there is one from LAP (Boss AutoProduce)
then just put in a adjustable ex.cam vernier.
then you can fine tune your setup with NVCS.

im intrested what people thing about the 256/264 setup !

Reaction score
Country
Bored at work so have been doing some read up on staggered cams
ie. 256/264degree cams.

This is what i came across on a differenet site sounds intresting.

"You get the starting powerband of the 264 camshaft with the ending of the 272 camshaft. Lets say you have a turbo that hits full boost at 4500rpm and holds to 8500rpm. The 264 will start giving gains at 4500rpm and the 272 will allow torque to hold all the way to 8500rpm. The 264/272 setup will deliver power earlier and hold longer but power wont peak as high as a straight 272 setup would. Camshafts are matched for the turbo thats chosen. The turbo is usually what makes the powerband and the cams allow the breathability for whatever RPM the turbo is working. No sense in having cams where they arent working at all. You can use smaller cams to effect spool up but the turbo is still gonna hit the hardest at a certain spot which is where i think the cams should be made to work. A good example is my car. Peak torque is 5krpm and holds solid to redline. Im running 264 Step 1 cams. You can feel the torque early in the revs but power is still not being made till later. I would benefit from a straight 272 setup. Might feel slower down low but it would make more torque and make more horsepower at redline. Maybe this ramble helps out some."

Reaction score
Using nismo cams 256/256 11.5mm lift. The best compromise between significant power increase and drivability. However if you have cash to spare after the upgrade , its stilll recommended that you go for a set of uprated valve springs at least. No lumpy idle. holds 900rpm on hot days with the a/c on. Changes the exhaust tone a wee bit too :D

M

Matt_S

Talk to APT. Those boys recceomend the Tomei Pro Cams. 270/260. You can maintain the VVT still. And theyre getting VERY good results too!

Reaction score
yea, i called APT the other week, and they basically said "don't bother with Pon cam's they're only slightly wilder than stock, we'd only recommend fitting these if someone's got standard cam's that're ground down."

Reaction score
Country
tomei poncams typeR cant be too bad as they us them in the tomei SR20 crate engines. and most drifter racers leave them in while runing these create engines.

if you look at the tomei site the typeR are also class procams for some reason. with a 11.5 lift there not shy.

TypeR cams have been designed for performance and drivablity in mind.

would go procams if your out for striaght out power.

Last edited:
Reaction score
yea, they type R cams are different to the normal ones though. they require the valve springs to be changed. :)

Y

YazS150

yea, they type R cams are different to the normal ones though. they require the valve springs to be changed. :)
Do they give a lumpy idle?? How is driveability and do u lose low end power? CHEERS