What's new

Track worthy S15

Reaction score
I'm so impulsive, it's actually a really bad habit of mine :D

The cams are Tomei 256 poncams. I asked Martin Battye what the difference is between the HKS 264, Brian Crower Stage 2 kit and the poncams, because I honestly didn't know, and they went from the HKS ones being the mildest, then the Brian Crower, and the poncams being the fruitest of the three. All I've been led to beleive is the cams are going to dramatically change the cars performance and coupled with the 1.6bar it'll run it should make a big difference.

T51R is a bit big for my needs, but I wouldn't mind buying a stroker kit at some point though... :wack:

Reaction score
I see where you coming from. I'm impulsive and very impatient aswell. I should be working to get my car back on the the road but i get carried away buying and installing other parts. I'm looking at running the golden reliable 400bhp Figure. Will be running a gt3071. Isnt that what ur running currently on your low mount setup. As for cam yes they can dramatically change the charaterisics of the drive. Tomei poncams seem a good bet. I'm lead to believe the shorter duration 256 as u mentioned with the 11.5 lift are the ones to go for road/trackable power as they give good torque through the middle of the rev range and really let the engine breath.

Reaction score
Yeah, I've got a gt3071, however its the 56 trim version, so its got the largest compressor wheel inducer available for the 71mm wheel. It's on the low mount at the moment but I'm keeping it to use on the top mount with the Tial gate.

I've also just had the letter through from Parcel Force that my cams are here, so going to pick them up from the depot later. Not a bad price either, I paid £355 delivered from the States and got to pay £55 in tax/duty.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I picked my cams up on Friday, everyone says they have no markings on them for 256 cams, but they do. However it's only inked onto them, so it probably wears off once hot oil runs over them. I also paid £200 less than the places I checked in the UK for these, brand new. I've been buying parts from FR Sport for a good 3 years now and they're prices are bloody good, even when the carriage and duty is added on. £400 for the cams and £213 for the genuine Tial mvs gate (my boss actually paid the £35 duty for the gate as a weekly bonus, so it was a bargain for me).

Reaction score
you bought all the bits to build a very well spec'd bottom end then advertised to sell right? why is this? did they not sell? and if not are you going to continue with what you original plans and build the engine?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've still got the bottom end, its sat in storage at the moment. I intended on running it in my S14a, which I sold and as it was balanced up with the flywheel and clutch I didn't want to use a 5 speed box. This still all goes back to me not wanting to change the cars setup, but I've pretty much changed everything except the bottom end internals now :wack:

I haven't pushed selling it as it might make its way into the car if something happens to the current engine.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Very jealous of this car! I am gonna start modding my engine soon,have been looking at poncams as they seem to be very highly regarded.
Been looking on frsport myself and their prices are very good,nice to know they are also reliable will have to get a wishlist on the go:wack:
Be interesting to see the difference the cams make .........

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
the best time I got was a 12.9 at 112mph.
At 323bhp? Wow! I've never had my car on a strip yet but I'm pretty enthusiast about going now. I wonder what sort of time I can knock down with 425bhp on drag radials?

The car looks great, it's almost a twin to mine.

Reaction score
Cheers, peglio, your motor is coming along nicely :)

Hynotik, the car made 323bhp at 1 bar, it actually runs 1.4 bar. Thanks for the comments though, I'm liking your new wheels :D

I went to Mallory Park again yesterday but didn't actually get as much track time as I wanted. I've never really driven the car in anger properly before so decided to use the rear wheel drive and power for a bit of sideways fun. I basically just powered out of the slower corners, so nothing spectacular. I did push my luck after the 5th lap though and span it :D. No damage to the car though, but a lot of people saw it and came up to me after taking the piss :wack:. I had some of the spectators come up to me asking what the car was and saying it was definatley shifting, along with a few other drivers out on track. Apparenly the car loves to spit flames aswell, I didn't think it would do it with the quiet and fairly restrictive HKS silent hi power cat back. I bought some shots that were taken by a proffesional photographer.

Reaction score
The grip is fine, I didn't have any issues. The tyres are really grippy, they just took a few laps to get up to temp and they started giving me some really good traction out of the slower corners as I was getting a lot of wheel spin to start with.

K

kieran@silverback

adam how does the 3071 spool compared tot the stock turbo? much more lag?

Reaction score
I bought the car with it already modified, mate, so I can't comment on that. It had a GT2871R on it when I bought it. I'm getting a bar of boost at 3.5k rpm and 1.2 bar at 4k rpm, my car has had to have it's boost controlled quite strictly via the avcr due to the creep it gets from running an internal wastegate on such a large turbo. I hit 1.4bar at about 5.5k rpm or just over. So if I'm honest it's quite laggy, but it is running the same 90 trim GT30 turbine wheel as the GT3076R but with a .86 rear housing. With all that being said, once the external gate is fitted the turbo is going to be a lot better for response because I'll be allowed to be more free with the boost control.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't mean to picture whore but I just got shown these pcitures which I think look bloody great, the two on track. The others are of the car sat parked in the paddock.

I was so tired from the early start I HAD to get some sleep in the morning, so I resided to my car for a kip, which there's photo evidence of :D. I've never slept in a bucket seat before but it's bloody uncomfortable!!

I just had this sent to me aswell, probably my favourite :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've had no real progress with the car yet as I can't get it remapped until early August, however I did go to Santa Pod again and managed pretty much the same time I did as last time but a slightly higher terminal speed. I'm actually quite confident the car would hit 115mph across the line if it wasn't so hot everytime I decided to go.

M

martinbattye

hi Adam...

ive not been this forum for a loong time!! nice to read thro the build thread.. it certianly was a little dissapointing we couldnt get some good duty in the boost control and get it on earlier..

one of my good friends car is running this exact spec.. and he is making 1.5bar at 3600rpm on the Link G4 Atom. he is also maxxing out 740cc injectors at 1.5bar. with a base pressure of 4.5bar! !!

im off on holiday on the 21st july for 2 weeks.. and we'll sort something when we get back for you!!

how did you get on with that turbo for my R32??

speak soon

Reaction score
Turbo is done Martin, it's sat in my bedroom now. I'll bring it alongg with me when I next pop over.

I've got one major job to do beforehand though, which is what you also warned me of having issues with... The gearbox has literlly smashed itself to bits about 30 minutes ago:wack:

Luckily it happened about 5 miles from home so I managed to nurse it home. Fourth gear let go big style while giving it some. I was expecting something to happen to the transmition as it's been getting quite whiney and stiff to get into gear but not so soon. Oh well, hopefully I'll have it all sorted by the time you get back.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Gutted about the box, but aren't you not better getting something stronger than the 6sp replacement, as I thought you was pushing 400bhp? I thought the boxes are on the limit at 350?

Reaction score
I probably would be better getting something stronger in the long run but I really like the 6 speed box. I still don't know what the power output is but if I've got to the stage where I've now blown a box just from accelerating, things aren't looking good for when I get the cams fitted. It's odd as some people drift with the 6 speed and I've never done that, or clutch kicked it.