What's new

Track worthy S15

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I'm running about 360bhp and I've broke a box (S14 5sp) trying to hit 4th when I was pushing it. Just chucked another 5sp in though, and its been fine since. I fancy something stronger, but you are looking at well over 1k for something decent :( 2nd 5sp cost me 100quid!

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the problem when I can get another box for half that. It couldn't have happened at a better time though, as I got my insurance renewal through on Saturday, and Sky want just shy of £1k out of me, which is more than I paid last year:rolleyes:. I've also put my name down for a Koyo rad on SXOC and I don't particularly want to pull out.

Reaction score
Right, I've been busy I suppose. I've had a lot of things to sort out with the car... The box was fixed about 6 weeks ago and is all up and running, I had my insurance renewal which hit me hard with buying the box in the same couple of days.

I got my new Koyo N flow rad a couple of weeks back and fitted it with a brand new Nissan thermostat

I saw something that I really wanted before I was due to go on holiday about 3 weeks ago and I really had to hold off buying it. As an end result I'm now selling my current turbo setup, however my GT3071R is still on the car until I pick up my Full Race manifold and GT3082R turbo kit. I literally can't wait.

I've just spoken to Martin Battye about possible issues with my 740's not supplying enough fuel, which is highly likely for the boost I want to run. He's mapped this turbo on an SR at 1.2 bar and that made 400 rwhp :wack:.

We're going to see how things go on the current fuel setup by raising the base pressure and a larger throttle body.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The rad looks very nice Adam :)

Right, I don't understand this.. Surely 1.2 bar should give the same power whatever turbo it comes from as long as it's there all of the way through the rev range? At the end of the day 1.2 bar is 1.2 bar..? Please educate me! :)

Reaction score
These readings aren't from standard engine internals, I should have added. The bigger the turbo the higher you've got to the rev the engine (more revs mean more gas) and with a larger turbo you're creating less of a restriction in the system as that's effectively what a turbo is as far as the exhaust system is concerned. Also, the more gas you can get out of the engine at any set rpm means more power. I suppose what you need to think about also is when running something so large is you want there to be as little restriction on intake system as possible too, starting with the inlet manifold/throttle body, then cams/headwork, then exhaust manifold.

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Adam, have a look at the Aeromotive Stealth pumps, Gary at APT just used one on Ben Taylors car, flow a lot more than the Walbro :nod: Even then you're going to run out of fuel on the injectors, SARD 850's is the cheapest option. Another option would be buy an inlet manifold spacer and run a new fuel rail and top feed 1000cc injectors :)

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw those, Scott, feedback looks promising:)

1000cc injectors, namely the Injector Dynamic ones, came highly recommended earlier. For the time being the Sard 850's are probably going to be the easiest way forward for now, but not on the stock rail as fuel supply has a habit of leaning out on the last injector.

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Yeah Injector Dynamics are the business :) IIRC Ben cracked about 490ish on the SARD's with a standard rail.

I've started having thoughts of a 2.3 :D

Reaction score
I would have seriously contemplated a stroker kit at this point if it wasn't for two key reasons.

1. I didn't think I'd be running a turbo this big :D
2. I've got my brand new fully forged fantactic spec bottom end still sat in storage, waiting...

I'm going to have to be very careful at this stage though, as not only am I going to be reving a lot higher than I was before but it's pretty much a dead giveaway the box I bought off you isn't going to cope:(. I think I'll be planning a Z32 box conversion over the winter.

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
Thats the same reason I sold on my 740 Nismo injectors dude last thing I wanted to do was be maxing them out in no time at all same reason with ditching the L-Jetro ecu and Z32
HKS 1000cc Top Feeds and no AFM = Win :wack:

Still think if you have a full bottom end sitting there not to bother with a stroker only way it wont be the same if torque levels which might not help a large turbo spool up as fast on the usual 2.0L you will be making over 400 easy with that and still be safe though :)

Reaction score
I'm just looking forward to the comical lag, as there's not much happening on the current setup until 4k rpm.

I have been offered a Border top mount fuel rail with Sard 850's, but I'm just waiting on the fuel line fittings for the rail.

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Strokers can make a significant difference to the driveability, that's what I was going for. TBH, I'll probably stick with the 2.0 Gary built for me and swap the TD06 for a GTX3071 with a Tial back housing. I'll be stuck for fuel then though :( Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound :D

Reaction score
I think a track car would benefit massively from a stroker kit more than a road car. Ok it's going to greatly improve response/torque/driveability, but the head, depending on what's been worked, isn't going to improve flow, so your overall power isn't going to increase.

I tried to get a price and availability on a GTX3071 about 3 weeks back, not available from Garrett Europe. That was another turbo I was very eager to try out.

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
That was the turbo I have my eye on aswell :( looked ace and the power sheets looked good aswell, cant beat a good of lag to kick you into your seat though :)

Drifter - More like in for a penny, out for £1.40 per L of V-Power :wack:

Reaction score
I'm not saying it's totally unavailable, I was just expecting to get it for a good deal. It's available but I'm trying from the UK Garrett agent which supplies most of the EU aswell. The U.S is probably your best bet for a good price.

The compressor wheel design is so unique, it's quite intriguing.

M

martinbattye

The rad looks very nice Adam :)

Right, I don't understand this.. Surely 1.2 bar should give the same power whatever turbo it comes from as long as it's there all of the way through the rev range? At the end of the day 1.2 bar is 1.2 bar..? Please educate me! :)
1,2bar is the pressure created by the airflow (engine thro put)at that certain point.. it is not a measure of how much power you will receive.

turbos deliver air by weight.. or lbs/min.. the larger the turbo the higher the lb/min you recieve.

then each turbo has an operating range that gives a variation in performance of that compressor wheel by how much boost you run//

boost is just a direct link to compressor speed.. the faster you spin the turbo the higher the boost.

for example... the stock s15 bb will make around 30lb/min at 1bar.. where as the GT2871r will make the same 30lbs/min at only 0.7bar.

its all about flow rate.. not boost..

turbobygarrett website should expand on my post pretty good.. read that..

M

martinbattye

the turbo is adam is going for is the same spec as the 800bhp drag car.. which made just over 400whp on e85 at only 1.2bar!! lol..

this car runs low 11's all day and has been just into the 10's mapped of course by myself..

im wondering how well a stock motor is going to take the 3082 punishement..

Reaction score
I've got back this evening from driving well over 300 miles. I've got myself an Aero front bumper after being after one for bloody ages, I just need the skirts now.

I also picked this up...

The turbo is stupidly large, I actually laughed when I saw the size of the compressor wheel. Full Race manifold too, I've got everything to make it a bolt on item except the instant mapping.

I'm finally getting S15 FTW on my car next week too :D

Reaction score
Country
I saw this one for sale (don't remember where) couple days ago and thought "that's some badass s**t there" ...It' s going to be a monster S15...

Reaction score
I picked it up from a fella off the sxoc, he was a really good bloke, really helpful with sorting extra parts out too.

I met Mark, Fasthands yesterday too, had a good old chat aswell, top bloke aswell for remembering I wanted his Aero bumper if he parted with it, well chuffed with it