What's new

DB's S15 Build Thread

Reaction score
Country
Not much happening at the moment as I've been working abroad a lot and also in the process of moving house.

Have had a bit if a problem recently though with idle dropping off and stalling, especially in stop/start traffic and coasting to a junction etc. so I'm on a bit of a servicing/renewal mission this month.

Could be caused by many things so I've ordered the following to try and solve:-

New IACV and gasket.
New TPS
New Fuel Pump, E85 Spec for future use.
New Fuel Filter Z32 version
New NGK Iridium plugs - heat range 7
New O2 Sensor (running a bit rich as well, hopefully will sort)
HKS SSQV recirculation fitting to change from VTA to recirc into intake.
MAF cleaner for hot wire element.
Plus normal service fluids.

The IACV is on 3 weeks back order so should get all this sometime next month and then need to schedule a trip to the garage, want to get some of my suspension parts on then as well. So no pics until next month, but then there should be a good bit of work happening and progress..

In the mean time I want to move the battery to the other side of the boot as I want to mount a sub in the current battery location (more room) plus not happy with cable and circuit breaker location.
waiting on some new crimp connectors to start this. It's highly likely now that when i'm in a position to start the track build I'll be using another shell, so this one is likely to remain a daily. Takes the pressure off a bit to make the car super light, so I can actually add some dynamat without feeling bad, lol...

Reaction score
Country
Hey I just re-read your thread (and man I have to say again that it's currently one of my fav builds at the moment).

I'm currently shopping for a manifold, and I'm tossing up the idea of buying a twin scroll manifold, so I have a few questions for you (if you don't mind). I see that you've bought the dual wastegate version. What was the reason that you picked the dual over the single?

What size turbo are you planning to run with it? What are your expected numbers?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Country
Hey I just re-read your thread (and man I have to say again that it's currently one of my fav builds at the moment).

I'm currently shopping for a manifold, and I'm tossing up the idea of buying a twin scroll manifold, so I have a few questions for you (if you don't mind). I see that you've bought the dual wastegate version. What was the reason that you picked the dual over the single?

What size turbo are you planning to run with it? What are your expected numbers?

Cheers!
thanks :)... It's a long build and won't completed this year, but pushing forward though...

The reason for the twin scroll manifold is to make the most out of the twin scroll turbo to be honest, internal wastegate twin scroll turbos use the one wastegate and you can also have a single external WG on a twin scroll manifold after the scrols combine, but I wanted the best control over the wastegate and to do this each scroll would have its own WG.
Their smaller than a single unsurprisingly, so I'm running two 38mm Tial WG rather than one 44mm that I would have used on a single WG manifold.
It's more expensive of course not just for the manifold but the cost of two WGs is a lot more than a single, but in for a penny and all that.
ive also found a tuning shop in the states that has made a Tial WG position sensor, quality CNC billet replacement unit for the top of the WG, seriously considering this as my ECU will accept two WG position inputs as part of the boost strategy, game on...

Turbo wise I'm a bit obsessed with the Borg Warner EFR range and Ive sized the EFR 7670 as my turbo of choice, should be good for about 700bhp, if that's not enough (cough!!) I can size up to the 8374 (800hp) which will be the limit of my gearbox.. To be honest this is a mad turbo with built in boost soleniod and BOV and used on many a time attack car at the moment. Numbers wise I want to be in the 700s.. Lol...

manifold wise Full Race will set you back around $1400+ for a top mount and $800 for a low mount, Mazworx do a top mount for $800. Both are top draw and it's down to what your using the car for and the budget re which one..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Cheers and thanks for the reply (and info).

I think I might just buy the twin scroll to put away for the future rebuild, and then buy a regular bottom mount from a local fabrication shop to the time being.

Thanks again, I'm off to do some more research ;)

Reaction score
Country
Wish I was, no just on the stock tubby and afm. Driving very carefully and keeping the revs low it's ok, but any push of the throttle and there's immediate hesitation. Think its a few things to be honest just gotta wait for a chance to get it off the road to do some testing..l

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
ok got you.. my problem was the top mount turbo was blowing air back over the MAF, so in turn was pushing more fuel into the engine when coming to a stop etc.. took me a while to figure that out!

Reaction score
Country
Cheers, Funny enough just bought some AFM cleaner, need to check for vacuum leaks as well, had some pipework of recently when putting on a new ps belt, might be that.

Reaction score
Country
I'd just like to say that I blame this thread for the recent expensive parts purchases I've made as of late.

Thanks ;)
lol... The best way to spend your hard earned cash for sure......

I've just moved house and haven't had internet for weeks (thanks Sky) so hopefully by the end of this week I will have internet back and I can actual post some updates.....

Reaction score
Country
Not much i'm afraid. Lots of work projects and other stuff has meant work on the car has been very slow.

I had the MOT a couple of months back and it failed on a few points, so got all them sorted out (washer bottle pump and rear fog light - had my Yashio rear light modified to include a fog light which is cool). The running problems I had was looked at and it turned out the O2 sensor was shot and only outputting a max of 1v, so luckily I had a new one and that sorted that out, also changed the IACV and TPS at the same time. Got it back and it was running nicely except for the clutch, my garage guy said the clutch was slipping and as i'd been driving it really carefully due to the running problems I hadn't noticed the clutch which was very obvious when I got the car back and got her on boost, so issue after issue, great.

I'm not using the car at the moment so i've not got the clutch sorted yet, but I have picked a replacement, doing a bit of research and for my current set up i'm going for a dual mass replacement and an ORC-409DS-02DS, I usually get my parts from RHD Japan but they didn't do this exact model only the 409D (damper) model not the DS (damper/silent), so I e-mailed them to see if they could get it in for me and a couple of days later got an e-mail saying it had been added to the site and it was in the sale with the other ORC clutches as well, awesome :)

So that's now on order.. I wont be doing anything else for a couple of months as I just have too much on at the moment, but I can say that before the end of the year there will be a lot of work done, including: -

Fortune Auto Series 500 Coilovers - Fitted
Fortune Auto adjustable rods- Fitted
Moonface tie rods and ends - Fitted
Moonface ball joins (f+r) - Fitted
Greddy extended sump - Fitted
E85 fuel pump - Fitted
Clutch - Fitted

After this lot i'll have her off the road again as I need to remove the f+r calipers, the fronts are being binned and the EVO Brembo calipers and standard rear calipers are going off for rebuild and powdercoat, then I can get the new disks fitted with the refreshed calipers, at the same time i'll be fitted the 18" rims to fit over the calipers.

At this stage hopefully it will be looking pretty good and this is as far as i'm going for now. The SR23VET build is still planned but I want all the money in place before I start it and with gearbox/electronics and engine to save up for it's going to be some time, but it will definitely be worth it :).

Peglio, do a google search for 'Life Racing D5 Display', this looks awesome and is compatible with the Syvecs ECUs, I need this dash!!!! It also has feedback on the status of the PDU channels which is great as this was the main reason I would have gone for the Motel PDU and keypads rather than Life Racing/Syvecs, now i'll def go for the Syvecs PDUs. This is getting expensive, lol......

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Nice one man! In looking at Orc clutches too, they look pretty awesome!
Haven't done anything on mine really either as building myself a daily ha ha
Sounds like you are going to have it at a nice stage dude should be nice to drive
Oh god what you trying to do to me!!
Every time we speak my life get more expensive ha ha ha

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Lol, you know it...
Saw your daily, looks like fun.
i just need to complete what I've got as I've got so much stuff already it's a bit depressing not getting it all fitted. But won't be long finally.
will post some more when I get the parts fitted....

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah should be fun when it's done! Need something fun for when the 15 comes off the road over winter .
Yeah I know the feeling man ! So many parts just sitting here collecting dust it's not cool
End of the day it will be worth the wait and the car is going to be immense so you can be happy in that knowledge
Good stuff man you know I love the updates!
Off to rob a bank so I can get one of those digi dash's now ha ha ha