What's new

SR20VET S15 omg

Reaction score
Good, you're going to need a written report and photo's. I've been doing my job for 9 years now and I'm still learning, you never know everything, no matter how long you're in a trade for!

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
just read this. feel for you dude ! id be interested in what the report out is. i have just had my block machined for CP pistons and my machined has seen issues with CP piston clearances before. for my pistons CP say 3.5thou clearance which after deliberation with the machined and he said they had seen piston scuff on CP pistons running that low clearance so we went up to 4thou which is what he recommended to avoid scuff especially doing fast road / track stuff..

interestingly stock clearance starts at 4 thou from memory.... will be interesting to see what your measure at..

hope you get it sorted soon dude !

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I can take a look but from memory 1.5 thou! not good when you need 4!
Greg says that boring and Honing SR20s is an art form! I'm going to leave it in his capable hands and spend lots of money to make all the problems go away! That is his bill, not crack!!
I am so excited to get it finished though. I was showing a mate around it the other day, had all the electric gizmos up and running. I loooove my Sony Double-DIN touchscreen!

Having said that, today I spent 5 hours cleaning, paint renovating, polishing and then waxing and found that the spraying I had done 2 and a half years ago is starting to bubble :s

This calls for a new shell! Anyway, here is what she looks like now

Still need a long term solution to the bonnet spacing, but can't really do that until I have the engine to gauge the height of the valve cover again (the VE Cylinder head is slightly taller than the DET one)

Going to get the neoprene gaitor sorted in the next few days and that will be the interior complete!

Oh, and I'll be getting some custom sized number plates, the smallest I can possibly have legally at the front, and larger at the rear to properly fill the rear plate housing

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
There is a mint low milage shell at garage d atm I want it but skint. http://bit.ly/1g76cOa 30k on the shell no rust or accident damage want 2k for it . Looks proper nice when it's clean buddy!! When do you reckon you will get it all finished?

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Well my engine is next on Greg's list. The engine infront of me has been near enough a month and a half, so I guess March is a good guess for on the road, but I'm always late!
The shell will probably be 2+ years off, need a house with a big garage and the money for a yashio kit! I'll have to slum it until then!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
It does look so good cleaned up max!!

What paint is bubbling? I wander if they used decent etch primer?

My RH arch is bubbling and sill is abit ****, in an ideal world we could really do with stripping to bare shell, shot blast or dip it and get it all freshly painted! Only a 5-10k! Lol.

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It's on the roof, and a little bit on one of the front fenders. Looks rubbish to me but fine for anyone else at a distance.
I figure swapping everying onto a better shell would be reasonable... Not so much in my time though.
Respray with a new kit in white again for a yashio kit, or some sort of blue I think :)

Sent from my SM-T315 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Can get it dipped for about 1k and any good paint shop should paint a car for £1500-2000 and do a good job. Soon as I have some money and work space I'm doing it man has to be done. If it's bubbling would make me think they didn' prep it properly , we all have little annoyances on our cars it's what keeps us interested!!!
That shell at gd is pretty awesome man I wish I had some cash I would be all over it ha ha ha

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yashio kit is lovely but personally think looks best on a white car. Be easier to swap to a shell that's already sorted , save having the car off the road for ages too

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Haha, I need a place with a garage to protect the car before I make a lovely one!

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeh. I dont really want to loose my sunroof if I swapped to a new shell, but im not going to arse about for another 12 months. I could always do 2 ;)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I was thinking that ha ha I have been selling my spare parts to Vinnie and realised I could have made another really well spec'd 15 with my parts ! Yes totally agree there buddy , top of my list for this coming year is sorting out a garage/workspace

Reaction score
Those clearances are well off. You need to gap the rings to what the manufacturer recommends and they provide a spec sheet for it. I bore miked the bores of the Evo block and gapped the rings myself. If you have 1.5 thou of piston clearance you'll never ever get the pistons with the rings fitted in the bore!

Reaction score
Just as a rough gauge, I was running roughly 15 thou on the first ring and 18 on the second when I gapped them and they were perfectly gapped for Wiseco pistons.

Reaction score
Sorry for multiple posts... You must fit the rings to the bore unfitted to the piston and use a feeler gauge with a vernier to check clearances, if they're too tight, you must grind the rings in the appropriate manner

sammos13

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Adam-L just to clarify i was talking just about the piston to bore clearance. as you stated the rings also need gapping. CP give some general rules on what the gaps should be depending on what you are doing with the car can post them up if needed

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the extra info guys. I thought this stuff was over my head at the start of this build, and still is a bit now! Been learning though!
I took the engine to these people for the 1st build:
http://www.billcar.eu/BillCar.Engineering/

Seemed like a jackpot at the time as they were reasonably priced and only 7 miles from work.
They want the engine back to inspect it now, but its fairly clear what they did wrong, amd god knows what else. I now work about 15 miles from Penzance so not inclined to move the engine about, especially as they farted about for months to get it done before.

I'll start small claims stuff next monday, and it will be a court local to me so they can see how it feels! The offer for them to see the engine at Protuner is open until then. With any luck they wont dispute and pay up!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Fingers crossed this gets sorted quickly so you can crack on buddy! Shame it's come to this really and as you say it's their fault so why should you go out of your way for them. Sure you will get it all sorted jut a pita

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeh, total pain in the butt! My ISA will pay for the next engine, haha.
Im dying for the car back by March!
Looking at diffs now.... the only major OEM bit left!