What's new

SR20VET S15 omg

Reaction score
If that engine was in an S15 for sale, I'd be coming to view it instantly. I'm really impressed with the work that's been done and eagerly waiting to see the outcome

Reaction score
Country
Can't wait to see this. Loving the fly navy stickers in with the 'teaser' pic. :)
When are you coming to culdrose max?

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Cheers Adam!
God knows what the market value of this thing will be. More in bits I think, but to the right buyer... Shell not perfect but alot of time and money has gone into changing everything mechanical (except the diff)

3 days working on the car to go, and I have the last pair of polybushes to go in, Hot, cold and intake pipes to finalise, and the mounting of the Intake box in the wing. Then check check and check again before it goes to Pro-tuner :D

I'll be down there in 3 and a half weeks! Looking forward to it, but looking forward to having this back the most!

Reaction score
Seriously, that cylinder head conversion is quite a big deal in terms of Nissan tuning. I wanted to do it but couldn't be bothered with the arse over tit cam sensor bollocks, wiring, pipe work, installation and sourcing of parts. What you have done is something rather special! The only other conversion I'd be interested in, which I got offered on my car was the vr38dett... When I say offered, I mean it'd cost me a lot :wack: but it would have been the first 2 years ago, I just didn't want to fork out 20k

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I have a habbit of biting off quite alot.. I wish I spent a little longer getting a full and comprehensive shopping list, and just went on holiday to Mazworx.
Holy crap that would have been quite an S15. A very expensive one like you say. At least mine keeps the standard weight distribution which makes it my fave swap! But I am biased!

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Tough day!
Called up the guys doing the aluminium welding and they decided they didn't want to do it by Saturday. NOT an option I explained! So I legged it to get a bus to them (as I have no transport anymore) Missed the bus by 1 min, always the way, I had no signal or cab number so I hitch hiked my way to them!

I convinced the bastards to do the welding, and gave them the pipe they needed to complete the job. Not that they had told me they needed it or didn't want to do it.

At least this afternoon I was saved by a friend who made me a new radiator bottom bracket as I made a crap welding job of the last one. Also sorted the mounting of the VVL solenoids. More difficult than it sounds as there is nooo space down between the brake likes, intake manifold, heater pipes and fuel filter!

That done I spent about an hour and a half filing away at the lip on the firewall so that my valve cover fits with it's irritationg breather at the back which will run to the catch can. Now the Valve cover fits and I have fitted the coilpacks for the first time in 7 months!!!

Tomorrow we'll get the intercooler back, or someone will die, their choice. I'll fit the intake manifold and all the tubes to the boost/vac nipples. Mount the top feed fuel rail and injectors, and at last finalise the the Intake box mounting, intake pipe, hot pipe and the shortest cold pipe in the universe.

Getting there!!

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I did get the intercooler off them yesterday. Welding was OK, but beggers can't be choosers. The pipe doesn't point at the TB so well so I spent hours griding that crossmember to bring the IC up, and stuffing about with the brackets on the IC to tilt it.

Because they didnt put the IACV pipe on the outlet pipe, but the end tank as i suggested as a last resort, i have stuffed myself over because that is right on the path of one of my electric fans. For now I'll run with one only, on full blast.

At least by the end of last night I had sorted the hot pipe, cold pipe, re-mounting the IC, radiator and (fan)
Inlet mani is on too with assembled fuel system, so things are taking shape. Intake box mount and intake pipe to go.

Reaction score
Country
well least you got it done, its a crap job but at least it wound hold up your deadline, up to you but i would have that on my to do better in the future list

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Hi guys. Dyno results so far to come. 2/3 of the way to a full tune so far.

What I can tell you now though is that Greg got 390+ hp from it on 1 bar, VVL coming in near 5k, as the ex. housing isn't big enough to make the most of the VVL high cam flow basically. The Nur spec RX backbox and sports cat aren't helping either but nevermind, for me they are a necessity.

HOWEVER I have taken the decision to pull the plug on the tuning for now and have the engine rebuilt by Greg.
First reason being that the guys who built my engine, apparently good CNC, precision engineering, and Nissan truck engine re-builders, they reckon they went off the standard specs for piston to crown clearance, which IS NOT what it would have said in the info that came with the CP pistons that were shipped straight to them! Due to forged piston expansion we are running the risk of screwing the engine over a treat on high load on a hot day. Not cool, especially as it could take alot of expensive parts with it!!

Second, Greg says there was a rattle when the high cam kicked in when the engine was warm. He thinks it could be a lack of oil getting to the head, but we had the engine oil drained after the more powerful runs and after finding more metal than we'd like, one of the guys dropped the sump to look at bearing #1 and it was showing signs of wear, so that is when I had to pull the plug.

The saddest thing was seeing it start up, and the guy drive it out into the car park and park up. It is basically a running & roadworthy car, I just know it's not going to be reliable. Unfortunately I never got to hear the VVL, and it is going to be a while before I do! Greg said it was all going really well before the bad noises, and it doesn't make the noises when it is cool.

Greg still thinks I should get a bigger turbo! But I still want a really responsive car, with suitable power for road use, and the VVL for the noise and something a bit different, not super powers.

Shopping list:
engine rebuild, again...
Bigger, better clutch
Intercooler end tank welding job
Full Engine bay strip down and paint
Bigger ex.housing

Depending on how long everything takes... Yashio Gulf widebody

And a re-fund

Pretty angry with myself at the moment for letting chimpanzees build the engine, but I think I have taken the sensible but painful decision. Plus I guess I am the first RWD VE in a road going S15 over here, it just wasn't for long!!

Reaction score
Country
Ah sorry too hear mate, but hey before you know it you be up and running 100%:thumbs:

Reaction score
Blimey, what an episode. Awesome power figures though!

I take it you had the block honed for larger pistons and they've not calculated the correct wall clearance or used a torque plate doing the job. You'll end up with wonky bores if you don't use a torque plate once the head is torqued down.

Reaction score
If you want any block work carried out Tim Radley in Gloucester is a very very good engine builder and really knows his stuff. I've not used him myself but he builds GP moto engines for a lot of teams and has built quite a few 800bhp + Evo engines that are reliable.

Reaction score
Country
Sorry to hear about you problems. Look forward to seeing the results once its all fully up and running.

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Certainly the clearances, not sure about the torque plate but if I say yes it makes a build more worthwhile. If I had have known in advance and asked them these things they would have never done the work. Nevermind.

Greg at protuner is going to do the work. He seems to be about the only person to have built his own SR20VET over here. Greg has torque plates up the ying yang. He was saying he was going to make a gearbox plate to torque on while it is all being done too. Besides the engine is there at the moment anyway.

The numbers are only part way through the tune too! I'll have the printouts up soon. I really needed a better clutch to handle the power anyway ;)

I've just dug out blind the last week on my leave and one of the only bits I didn't do has let me down :s

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Ah max!! No way I'm sooo gutted for you man! Real heart breaker! Just gotta stay positive and apply for more credit cards. Then trust that Greg does a top notch job, is he commencing soon??

Max

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeh, He'll have the engine pulled out in the next 2 weeks and he can take as long as he likes over the winter, while I play about with the shell and fix up the other little improvements. That way it'll be able to put down more power. See what this turbo can do. I am wasting the High lobe VVL cam if I'm not pushing it a little!

Anyone know of a clutch for sale that can handle 500hp?