What's new

DB's S15 Build Thread

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
One word
Wow!!!
Gonna be insane mate!!! Massive plans,will be a serious machine ,what do you intend to use it for?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I've been eagerly awaiting this update!

What a very well thought out and high quality build this is. Well done Darren :)

Reaction score
Country
Cheers guys, well it's gonna take some time as you would imagine, but should be pretty good once finished. Will be sorting the drive train along the way (Mazworx Z32 adaptor and tranny, would like to strip the tranny and WPC the gears as well but we'll get to that another time).
It's being built for Time Attack and some drag, really would like to set her in the 10's, but we'll see :) lots to do first.

Got a few thing up my sleeve which will come out in due course, but it's a parts buying game at the moment.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Fair play mate,good to have a plan! Take your time and do it properly that what I say!
Look forward to the next update.
If you don't mind me asking how much is the z32 gearbox adaptor kit?

Reaction score
Country
It's also gonna be a normal road car as well, track and drag will be the weekend use, it will get some road use during the week as well. Need to buy another car for my daily now (but got some time before I need to worry about that though).

I want to take my time and do it right first time, that's the main reason for getting a lot of the parts WPC treated and looking at the new coatings available, like DLC (Diamond Like Coating) from Callico, i'll be treating the piston wrist pins with DLC for significantly increased wear resistance for both the pin and the rod. More on this stuff during the build.

The Z32 gearbox adaptor is $1090 (about £700) http://www.mazworx.com/product/driv...r-kits/complete-adapter-kits/srvg-adapter-kit
Mazworx also sell a 2nd hand Z32 gearbox for $700 (about £450), so all in for parts is just over a grand. There more Z32 gearboxes over here than the RB25 but there's not much difference between the two. It should be good for the power I want, would love to keep the 6 speed, but don't have the £6k I'd need for a Quaife seqential (dream box) :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Quaife would be awesome!!
Yeah I am just weighinh up the prices for boxes as I intend to up the power next year and just llooking into all the options.
This car would be crazy on the streets man!!
Looking forward to the next update mate

Reaction score
Country
Awesome build mate. Great deal of planning put into it, looks like a 500 horse build! Eagerly waiting for your updates.

Reaction score
Country
Cheers, there's a lot of other work during the build that i've not commented on yet that will come out during the build but planning for sure is the key.

The longblock build should be good for 700+bhp easy but as said i'm not chasing hp figures, the weakness on the DET is the head with respect to the rocker arms (even with solid lifters) which isn't an issue now with the VVL head, the main issue now is with detonation at high boost conditions, to counter this as best as possible i'm going to run ceramic coated pistons with a modified combustion chamber with ceramic coating also to keep the heat in the chamber rather than in the head and pistons, i'm also going to be running water/methanol injection on 1 of the 2 maps being programmed into the Fcon, one for normal 99octane and one also 99oct but mapped with water/meth, with the failsafe on the water/meth reverting back to the 1st map (99octane). This should give me the ability to run when required higher boost without detonation and more advanced timing. So 550bhp shouldn't be an issue I hope :) The GTX3071r according to Garrett is good for 560bhp, so i'm near the limit but as said we'll see.

The only part of the build i'm not convinced on yet is the turbo set up, i'm seriously drawn to a Full Race twin scroll mani with Borg Warner EFR 7670 turbo :), but for now the V band GTX is the plan, but i'm going to leave the final turbo set up until last to hopefully get a chance to test some options, I'd really like to get the engine dyno'd before shipping to get a chance to test out some other turbo's... All good fun :)

Next is to get all the ancilliaries done before I start on the build, which will start fully in a couple of months.

Reaction score
Country
Little update,

I've sourced a spare S15 Alternator and Starter Motor, both going off for metal polishing and the alternator bracket is going out for a powder coat.

Before

All pretty horrible, hopefully they will come back a bit more shiny :)

CMR

Reaction score
Country
It's also gonna be a normal road car as well, track and drag will be the weekend use, it will get some road use during the week as well. Need to buy another car for my daily now (but got some time before I need to worry about that though).

I want to take my time and do it right first time, that's the main reason for getting a lot of the parts WPC treated and looking at the new coatings available, like DLC (Diamond Like Coating) from Callico, i'll be treating the piston wrist pins with DLC for significantly increased wear resistance for both the pin and the rod. More on this stuff during the build.

The Z32 gearbox adaptor is $1090 (about £700) http://www.mazworx.com/product/driv...r-kits/complete-adapter-kits/srvg-adapter-kit
Mazworx also sell a 2nd hand Z32 gearbox for $700 (about £450), so all in for parts is just over a grand. There more Z32 gearboxes over here than the RB25 but there's not much difference between the two. It should be good for the power I want, would love to keep the 6 speed, but don't have the £6k I'd need for a Quaife seqential (dream box) :)

Any reason you havn't considered the Z33 6 speed? Theres an adaptor plate made in the US which fits perfectly and the z33 box is easily capable of coping with the power you will be putting through it

Reaction score
Country
Reaction score
Country
Greddy Oil Pan

Some new parts arrived today

Greddy Oil Pan

And Greddy magnetic drain plug

Got a bit of a shock with the quote for the alternator and starter metal polishing, but going to get it done anyway, alternator going off first (shipping Monday) should be turned around in a week so we'll see if i've had my pants down or not

Reaction score
Country
Alternators a difficult one to find, did try to find one too but the only one found was more than a dollars if I recall right.
Well done mate looking forward to your next update!

Reaction score
Country
I was lucky, the guy I bought the block and head off was also selling an S15 alternator and starter motor so I had those off him :) Plus a complete intake manifold with tps and injectors, no idea what to do with that now, lol.

Reaction score
Country
hi guys i am darrens mate in the uk who is the lucky one who gets to look after and drive his silvia.Hope you didnt mind this post darren, cant wait for the next shipment of bits to come over speak soon.If anyone is local to the sussex area and would fancy setting up a meet would be interrested .

Reaction score
Country
A few more parts to go on before Christmas, plus it's due for a service so i've got in a full set of fluids for the service.

I bought a set of Evo calipers before I decided on the more powerful build, so it looks like eventualy i'll need to go with something like a K-Sport 8pot/6pot with Z32 handbrake set up, but for now i'm going to fit the Evo calipers, bought a nice set of DBA4000 disks (front and rear), Ferrodo DS2500 for the front and some Hawk pads for the rear, had ordered Project Mu HC+ allround but after waiting 4 months for them and then being told it might be another 2 I just cancelled the order and went with these.

My Evo mates also convinced me to buy anti-squeel shims so got these as well.

CF ABS Shield (Cheers Craig)

CF Cooling Panel (Cheers Craig)

DBA4000 Fronts

DBA4000 Rears

DS2500

Hawk

Anti Squeel

Service Fluids

Defi Advance Controller

Going to replace all my Greddy gauges with Blue Defi BF Advance gauges, i've an interesting side project going on with a spare S15 gauge cluster i've aquired and a Race Tech - Dash 2, more on this later :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Are the shims a mitsubishi part or do you order them through brembo my evo calipers are a bit creaky? Those disks look quality mate!Awesome mate! I have blue defi's they looks the nuts!
A lot of nop notch parts going into this build ,gonna be sweet when its all finished!